When they're not creating real-time Twitter trends maps, our Master's students are developing a VR framework to act as an interface between hardware and software or using Minecraft to help robots plan. (In their spare time, they're winning Google Lime Awards and taking first place at hackathons.)
We offer two programs, the Master of Science in Computer Science and the Master of Science in Cybersecurity. The latter is a fully online degree that can be completed from anywhere in the world. A survey of our recent Master's alums found that 100% felt that the program prepared them for their current job responsibilities.
This page is for prospective Master of Science in Computer Science students. Current students, go here or use the links in the blue bar above.
Our program has several advantages over other institutions:
- Our reasonable costs make us an affordable choice, and all admitted applicants are automatically considered for a small number of merit-based, full-tuition scholarships that support our diversity and inclusion goals
- All courses are taught by world-class faculty who earn our reputation for innovation
- We offer two tracks (research and coursework-only) that can be easily customized for particular needs
- Strong industry partnerships let students work with government and industry on practical, high-value problems
- Students can take courses from Harvard, RISD, and other institutions without additional cost (see here for details and restrictions)
"Getting a Master's was a great opportunity to continue my research and deepen my relationships with other students and Brown's faculty."
— Fiona Hopkins, Twitter
Many of our recent Master's grads hold positions as senior software developers at tech companies and startups. Several years later, some of their roles include Senior Architect, Developer, VP of Engineering, CTO, and CEO. Many others entered PhD programs and now hold positions at universities and research labs.
- Why is Brown a great place to study CS at all levels?
- How can I apply to the Master's program?
- What are the Master's program graduation requirements?
- What are the other Brown CS degree programs?
- How can I learn more about grad school application and life? (Professor Shriram Krishnamurthi provides answers.)
- How can I learn more about the Master's program? Watch these presentations.
- What if I have questions? Read our FAQ.
- How do I ask additional questions? (Email link)