Submitting An Annual Progress Report
After you pass candidacy, you must submit an annual progress report every year by March 1. Make sure you're logged in with your Brown ID, then click here.
Preparing For Your Proposal And Defense
We strongly encourage you to use these tips (73.4 KB) as you prepare for both your thesis proposal and defense. These tips are designed to help you avoid pitfalls or mistakes others have encountered.
When You Plan To Propose
Before you schedule your thesis proposal, confirm that you've met all of the course requirements by filling out the Post Candidacy Contract (76.7 KB) and submitting the signed version to John Tracey-Ursprung. Use this short checklist (123.0 KB) to make sure that you've completed the required administrative tasks.
When You Plan To Defend
- Use the Thesis Defense Checklist (167.2 KB) to make sure that you've completed the required administrative tasks in a timely manner.
- Three weeks before your scheduled defense, you must fill out the Dissertation Information Form and submit it to John Tracey. A sample filled-out form can be found here to help guide you.
- This optional thesis template may make formatting your thesis easier.
- Choose catering options for your defense celebration and communicate this to Genie DeGouveia at least two weeks in advance. See guidance here: Thesis Defense Catering Info (137.3 KB)
- Use this form (also in Excel) to plan and communicate your refreshment choices for your thesis defense.
Scheduling Your Proposal And Defense
You must give four weeks of advance notice for scheduling a thesis proposal or defense, and there can't be more than one of these events on any given day. Note that thesis proposals must be scheduled when Brown is in session
Submitting Your Application To Graduate
When you're ready to graduate, be sure to fill out the Application to Graduate in Banner before the deadline. You can find updated deadlines on the Graduate School's site.