This page contains information on Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI), ergonomic advice, and resources available in the Brown community. The advice here should not be used in lieu of contacting a medical professional.
Additional resources are available in the Department of Computer Science through the "ergo merc": we have a pool of keyboards and mice that you can use to evaluate before buying and lots of practical advice on RSI prevention, treatment, insurance difficulties, etc. Please email the ergo merc (currently Ben Abbatematteo if you have any questions or need assistance.
- What is RSI?
- What you should do if you feel pain
- Treatment and recovery
- A special note on laptops
- List of ergonomic equipment in the pool
- Books, links, and other resources
- Brown University Safety Specialist, Stephanie Santucci: (401) 863-1522
- Brown Health Services: (401) 863-3953
- Student and Employee Accessibility Services: (401) 863-9588
- Brown Psychological Services: (401) 863-3476
- Office of Insurance and Purchasing Services: (401) 863-9481
- Environmental Health and Safety (EHS): (401) 863-3353
Brown University EHS staff are available upon request to assess workstation ergonomic needs for Brown faculty, staff and students. They are also available to meet with departments proactively to provide Office Ergonomics Training. EHS offers a guide to Sit Stand Adjustable Workstation Guidance.