1. Get the Software
- Download and install the Windows OpenVPN Installer.
- Download the Brown CS OpenVPN client certificate and config files (browncs.opvn and browncs-gateall.opvn). You will have to first enter your LDAP credential in the upper right hand corner input boxes named "Logname: and LDAP password:".
2. Add a VPN Configuration
- After you download the Universal Config files, put the .opvn files in the appropriate OpenVPN config directory. For 32bit versions of OpenVPN on 32Bbit versions of Windows this will be C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\ . On 64bit Windows machines this will be C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\config\ for the 32bit version of OpenVPN and for the 64 Bit version of OpenVPN it is C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\.
Destination Quick Reference:
Windows 32 Bit - OpenVPN 32 Bit: C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\
Windows 64 Bit - OpenVPN 32 Bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\config\
Windows 64 Bit - OpenVPN 64 Bit: C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\
- To start the OpenVPN client, right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon and choose Run as Administrator.
- The OpenVPN client starts and creates an icon at the bottom right-hand corner of your screen.
- To log in to the CS VPN server, right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon at the bottom right-hand corner and choose browncs>Connect. Alternatively, choose browncs-gateall>Connect, which routes all Internet traffic through the VPN. This allows you to access Brown Library resources, but may be slower, so only choose it if necessary.
- The OpenVPN User Authentication will appear. Enter your CS login and LDAP password into the appropriate section.
- Click on the OK button to log in.
- You are now connected through the CS VPN.
- Once the CS vpn is established, to connect to your CS home directory/files click on Start and then, in the small windows at the very bottom that says "search programs and files", type \\cifs.cs.brown.edu\home\<username> and then press enter. Enter your CS Windows credential when prompted.
- To disconnect, right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon in the bottom right of your screen and choose Disconnect.