Internet access to the Brown Computer Science Department network is restricted by a firewall. The firewall protects our computers from outside attackers, but it also limits the ways legitimate users can access the department.
This page describes how to get at department computing resources from outside the department.
What does remote access let me do?
- Work in a shell (SSH)
- Connect through OpenVPN
- Read your email
- Display X client applications
- Run a remote desktop session using FastX
- Copy files to or from your CS account
- Mount department filesystems via Windows (CIFS)
- Mount department filesystems via NFS
See the Remote Access page for information about connecting to the CS Department.
See Connecting in the CIT page for information about access from within the CIT building.