Working with faculty who are leaders in the field, our PhD students conduct cutting-edge research, earning prestigious fellowships and awards. After graduation, they contribute widely to science, learning, culture, and their communities, earning honors in academia and industry. (They also throw rubber chickens at each other.)
This page is for prospective PhD students. Currently-enrolled students, go here.
We offer world-class CS research and education in an interdisciplinary environment:
- a lower student/faculty ratio than many of our peers
- five years of financial support for nine months a year (full tuition, health insurance, a generous stipend)
- teaching assistantships for students who want to hone their teaching skills
- shared offices that overlook Brown's scenic campus
- a chance to serve on important committees and organize seminars and other events
"Brown CS makes it very easy to talk to a professor and join their research group. I was very surprised how much of a family feeling the department has. This was completely different from my undergrad experience, where it was very formal...here you chat with everyone at the coffee machine." — Emanuel Zgraggen, PhD student
- Why is Brown a great place to study CS at all levels?
- What are the requirements for earning a PhD?
- To transfer graduate credit from another institution, fill out this form and this one and give them to Lauren Clarke.
- What do young researchers working in industry say about the benefits of earning a PhD?
- How can I learn more about grad school application and life? (Professor Shriram Krishnamurthi answers on Quora.)
- How do I ask additional questions? (Email link)