1. Get the Software
- Download and install the Windows OpenVPN Installer.
- Download the Brown CS OpenVPN client certificate and config files (<username>_browncs.opvn and <username>_browncs-gateall.opvn). You will have to click on "Brown Login" first and enter your Brown credentials when prompted.
2. Add a VPN Configuration
- After you download your specific VPN Config files, put the .opvn files in the appropriate OpenVPN config directory:
Windows 32 Bit - OpenVPN 32 Bit: C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\
Windows 64 Bit - OpenVPN 32 Bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\OpenVPN\config\
Windows 64 Bit - OpenVPN 64 Bit: C:\Program Files\OpenVPN\config\
- To start the OpenVPN client, right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon and choose Run as Administrator.
- The OpenVPN client starts and creates an icon at the bottom right-hand corner of your screen.
- To log in to the CS VPN server, right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon at the bottom right-hand corner and choose browncs>Connect. Alternatively, choose browncs-gateall>Connect, which routes all Internet traffic through the VPN. This allows you to access Brown Library resources, but may be slower, so only choose it if necessary.
- The OpenVPN User Authentication will appear. Enter your Brown login and password (same account used to log into CS Dept Linux machines and same account used to download the vpn config files) into the appropriate section.
- Click on the OK button to log in.
- You are now connected through the CS VPN.
- To disconnect, right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon in the bottom right of your screen and choose Disconnect.