Thanks for your interest in our Master's program. If you haven't already, please:
- acquaint yourself with the program to make sure it's a good fit for you. Note that doctoral students can automatically earn a Master's degree on the way to completing a PhD, but Master's students don't automatically transition to the PhD track.
- read our FAQ. It answers many of the questions you probably have.
We expect strong results from applicants in the following:
- GRE General Exam (recommended but not required)
- GRE Subject (Computer Science) Exam (recommended but not required)
- Record of grades or other academic performance
- Letters of reference (you might suggest to your letter writers that they look at this site)
- TOEFL or IELTS (for applicants whose native language is not English)
Again, please read our FAQ.
We accept applications twice a year: until December 11 for Spring admission and until March 15 for Fall admission. We admit students on a rolling basis but can't accept applications after a deadline has passed. Once the application system has closed, it won't reopen until October for new applications. You'll be notified by the Graduate School if you're admitted.
Please go here to apply. You can get additional information from our FAQ and from the Graduate School's site. We strongly urge you to provide unofficial (scanned) copies of your transcripts as part of the electronic application. You'll be prompted to mail an official copy of your transcript if you're accepted to the program.
Graduate applications are handled by a combination of Brown CS and the Graduate School. First, your application is formally processed by the Graduate School. Its content is then read by members of Brown CS, who then forward their recommendations to the Graduate School. Finally, the Graduate School formally admits you to the program. Therefore, you may receive correspondence from either Brown CS or the Graduate School.
We're sorry to say that Brown CS currently doesn't provide financial assistance for a Master's education. Unfortunately, we don't have scholarships, fellowships, research assistant positions, or teaching assistant positions to offer. Brown, however, does maintain information on financial aid, loans, and scholarships. To find out more about Graduate Financial Aid, please go here.