Tom Doeppner's Underwater Photos
I got started in underwater photography in 1986, when I acquired a Nikonos V system. This is a viewfinder, non-SLR camera which is great for wide-angle photography, but not for "fish portraits" and other close-up work. I started using a housed camera in 1992: a Nikon 8008s in a Tussey housing. I replaced this in 1997 with a Nikon F4 in a Nexus housing and used Ikelite Substrobe 150 and Substrobe 200 strobes. In January 2005 I switched to digital and to a Nikon D70 in a Nexus housing. In the summer of 2006 I replaced the D70 with a Nikon D2x in a Seacam housing. I replaced the strobes with Ikelite DS125's. All of my photos shown here were taken with the housed cameras, mostly with either a 60mm macro lens or a 105mm macro lens. In some of those shot with the latter I've used a +2 wet diopter that allows me to get closer to the subjects. In January 2010 I acquired a SubSee +10 diopter from ReefNet, which allows me to get even closer. A few photos were taken with a 20mm lens and some with a 35mm lens. Almost all the photos shot on film were with Fuji Velvia.
If you find any errors in my identification of the subjects, please let me know! Contact me at email@example.com.
The photographs are organized by location:
- Bay Islands, Honduras: these photos were taken off Utila and Roatan in January 2011.
- Placencia, Belize: these photos were taken off Placencia, Belize in August, 2012.
- Bonaire: these photos were taken in 1998, 2001, and 2002, all in January.
- Curacao 1: these photos were taken in January 2003.
- Curacao 2: these photos were taken in February 2010.
- Los Roques, Venezuela: this is a small group of islands off the coast of Venezuela (and not far from Bonaire and Curacao). The photos were taken in July 2001.
- Papua New Guinea: these photos were taken in Milne Bay in July 1995 and off the coast of New Ireland in July 2000 and August 2002.
- Solomon Islands: these photos were taken in June/ July 1998 and in July 2003.
- Lembeh Strait part 1, Lembeh Strait part 2, Lembeh Strait part3, Lembeh Strait part4: this is a narrow strait off
the northeast corner of North Sulawesi, Indonesia. The first set of photos was
taken (on film) in July 1997 and April 1999. The second set is a collection of
digital photos taken in July 2005. The third set is a collection of digital
photos taken in July 2007. The fourth set was taken in July 2011.
- St. Vincent 1: these photos were taken in St. Vincent in June 2004 and January 2005.
- St. Vincent 2: these photos were taken in St. Vincent in January 2006.
- St. Vincent 3: these photos were taken in St. Vincent in January 2007.
- St. Vincent 4: these photos were taken in St. Vincent in January 2008.
- St. Vincent 5: these photos were taken in St. Vincent in January 2010.
- St. Vincent 6: these photos were taken in St. Vincent in January 2013.
- Turks and Caicos Islands 1: these photos were taken in July 2008.
- Turks and Caicos Islands 2: these photos were taken in August 2010.
- Cayman Islands: these photos were taken in June and July 2009.