- Associate Professor (Research) and Vice Chair
- Department of Computer Science
- Brown University
- Providence, RI 02912-1910
- 401-863-7633 (voice)
- 401-863-7657 (fax)
- office: CIT 405
- Director of Undergraduate Studies: I'm in charge of the CS concentration as well as of our undergraduate TA program.
- Director of the Master's Program.
- Chair of our colloquia and awards committees.
- Member of our facilities committee: we provide guidance to our technical staff on the department's computing facilities.
- Member of our curriculum committee: we manage the department's curriculum.
Things I've been involved with in the past include:
- An Electronic Student Notebook
- ThreadMon (Please don't ask for code: this system hasn't been supported in several years and is highly dependent on the underlying threads implementation!)
- C++ Threads: An object-oriented version of POSIX threads.
- Brown Threads: One of the first threads packages on Unix. There's even a tutorial on how to use it.
- A long, long time ago I was a theoretician and did work on the correctness of parallel programs. I had a paper published in STOC (May 1976) and one in POPL (January 1977). At some point I'll find the source for these papers and put them on my web page.
I teach CSCI1670 (Operating Systems)
and CSCI1690 (Operating Systems Laboratory) and coteach CSCI931 (Intro to Computation for the Humanities and Social Sciences in the fall
and teach CSCI1380 (Computer Networks) in the spring.
I have developed training courses on the internals of many modern Unix systems (including Linux) as well as on NFSv4 and Multi-Threaded Programming. Contact IAPS.
My hobby is shooting pictures underwater. Check them out!
I've recently started taking pictures of bugs. Check them out as well!