Associate Professor (Research) and Vice Chair
Department of Computer Science
Providence, RI 02912-1910
office: CIT 405
- Director of Undergraduate Studies: I'm in charge of the CS concentration as well as of our undergraduate TA program.
- Director of the Master's Program.
- Chair of our space committee.
- Member of our facilities committee: we provide guidance to our technical staff on the department's computing facilities.
- Member of our curriculum committee: we manage the department's curriculum.
Things I've been involved with in the past include:
- An Electronic Student Notebook
- ThreadMon (Please don't ask for code: this system hasn't been supported in several years and is highly dependent on the underlying threads implementation!)
- C++ Threads: An object-oriented version of POSIX threads.
- Brown Threads: One of the first threads packages on Unix. There's even a tutorial on how to use it.
- A long, long time ago I was a theoretician and did work on the correctness of parallel programs. I had a paper published in STOC (May 1976) and one in POPL (January 1977). At some point I'll find the source for these papers and put them on my web page.
I teach CSCI0330 (Introduction to Computer Systems) in the fall. I teach CSCI1670 (Operating Systems) and CSCI1690 (Operating Systems Laboratory), and coteach CSCI1380 (Distributed Systems) in the spring.
I have taught courses for a number of industrial clients on topics including Unix System Internals, TCP/IP, Distributed Computing, and Multi-Threaded Programming.
My hobby is shooting pictures underwater. Check them out!
I've recently started taking pictures of bugs. Check them out as well!