I am a 4th year PhD student in the Database Group at Brown University working under Tim Kraska, Ugur Cetintemel and Stan Zdonik. I am broadly interested in platforms for large-scale data management, particularly systems for performing complex analytics with big data, such as machine learning.
Before coming to Brown, I received a Bachelor of Science from Lehigh University in computer engineering (May 2012), primarily focusing on database systems under the guidance of Henry Korth.
I am currently working on a new system for complex analytics (e.g., machine learning, predictive modeling) called Tupleware that integrates compiler and database techniques to achieve orders of magnitude performance improvement over Hadoop, Spark and column-store databases.
- Analytics Frameworks
- Machine Learning
- Advanced CPU features
- Stream Processing
- Transaction Processing
- Cloud Computing
- Emanuel Zgraggen, Alex Galakatos, Andrew Crotty, Jean-Daniel Fekete, Tim Kraska: How Progressive Visualizations Affect Exploratory Analysis. TVCG (2016)
- Andrew Crotty, Alex Galakatos, Emanuel Zgraggen, Carsten Binnig, Tim Kraska: The Case for Interactive Data Exploration Accelerators (IDEAs). HILDA (2016)
- Carsten Binnig, Andrew Crotty, Alex Galakatos, Tim Kraska, Erfan Zamanian: The End of Slow Networks: It's Time for a Redesign. PVLDB 9(7): 528-539 (2016)
- Andrew Crotty, Alex Galakatos, Kayhan Dursun, Tim Kraska, Carsten Binnig, Ugur Cetintemel, Stan Zdonik: An Architecture for Compiling UDF-centric Workflows. PVLDB 8(12): 1466-1477 (2015)
- Andrew Crotty, Alex Galakatos, Emanuel Zgraggen, Carsten Binnig, Tim Kraska: Vizdom: Interactive Analytics through Pen and Touch. PVLDB 8(12): 2024-2035 (2015) - Best Demo Award
- Andrew Crotty, Alex Galakatos, Kayhan Dursun, Tim Kraska, Ugur Cetintemel, Stanley B. Zdonik: Tupleware: "Big" Data, Big Analytics, Small Clusters. CIDR (2015)
- Andrew Crotty, Alex Galakatos, Tim Kraska: Tupleware: Distributed Machine Learning on Small Clusters. IEEE Data Eng. Bull. 37(3): 63-76 (2014)