Publications by Area
Publications by Area
This list is also available sorted by year.
Plan Composition (Computing Education) [Active Area]
- Sometimes, Rainfall Accumulates: Talk-Alouds with Novice Functional Programmers. Kathi Fisler and Francis Castro. ICER 2017.
- On the Interplay Between Bottom-Up and Data-Driven Program Design. Francis Castro and Kathi Fisler. SIGCSE 2016.
- Modernizing Plan-Composition Studies. Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi, and Janet Siegmund. SIGCSE 2016.
- The Recurring Rainfall Problem. Kathi Fisler. International Conference on Computing Education Research (ICER), 2014. [coding manual, analysis notes, and errata]
Notional Machines and Language Learning (Computing Education) [Active Area]
- Assessing and Teaching Scope, Mutation, and Aliasing in Upper-Level Undergraduates. Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi, Preston Tunnell Wilson. SIGCSE 2017
- Teaching Programming Languages by Experimental and Adversarial Thinking. Justin Pombrio, Shriram Krishnamurthi, Kathi Fisler. Summit on Advances in Programming Languages (SNAPL), 2017.
- Do Values Grow on Trees?: Expression Integrity in Functional Programing. Guillaume Marceau, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. ICER 2011 Discussion Paper.
Bootstrap-Related (incl Transfer and Tool Design) [Active Area]
- Blocks versus Text: Ongoing Lessons from Bootstrap. Emmanuel Schanzer, Shriram Krishnamurthi, and Kathi Fisler. Blocks and Beyond Workshop (in conjunction with VL/HCC), 2015.
- Transferring Skills at Solving Word Problems from Computing to Algebra Through Bootstrap. Emmanuel Schanzer, Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi, and Matthias Felleisen. SIGCSE 2015.
- Bootstrap: Going Beyond Programming in After-School Computer Science. Emmanuel Schanzer, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. SPLASH-E (Education track of the OOPSLA/SPLASH conference), 2013.
- WeScheme: The Browser is Your Programming Environment. Danny Yoo, Emmanuel Schanzer, Shriram Krishnamurthi, and Kathi Fisler. ITiCSE 2011.
Error Messages (Computing Education) [Active Area]
- Mind Your Language: On Novices' Interactions with Error Messages. Guillaume Marceau, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. OOPSLA Onward 2011.
- Measuring the Effectiveness of Error Messages Designed for Novice Programmers. Guillaume Marceau, Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi. (Follow link for comparison to Scheme Workshop '10 paper) ACM SIGCSE 2011. Best Paper Award
- Measuring the Effectiveness of Error Messages Designed for Novice Programmers. Guillaume Marceau, Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi. Scheme Workshop 2010.
Peer Review (Computing Education) [Slightly Active Area]
- The Sweep: Essential Examples for In-Flow Peer Review. Joe Gibbs Politz, Joseph Collard, Shriram Krishnamurthi, Arjun Guha, and Kathi Fisler. SIGCSE 2016.
- In-Flow Peer-Review of Tests in Test-First Programming. Joe Gibbs Politz, Shriram Krishnamurthi, and Kathi Fisler. International Conference on Computing Education Research (ICER), 2014. [data sources]
- In-Flow Peer Review. Dave Clarke, Tony Clear, Kathi Fisler, Matthias Hauswirthm, Shriram Krishnamurthi, Joe Gibbs Politz, Ville Tirronen, and Tobias Wrigstad. Working group report from ITiCSE 2014.
- CaptainTeach: Multi-Stage, In-Flow Peer Review for Programming Assignments. Joe Gibbs Politz, Daniel Patterson, Shriram Krishnamurthi, and Kathi Fisler. International Conference on Innovation and Technology in Computer Science Education (ITiCSE), 2014.
Policy Analysis and Authoring
- Usable Security as a Static Analysis Problem. Hannah Quay de la Vallee, James M. Walsh, William Zimrin, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. Onward! 2013.
- A Balance of Power: Expressive, Analyzable Controller Programming. Tim Nelson, Arjun Guha, Daniel J. Dougherty, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. Workshop on Hot Topics in Software Defined Networks (HoTSDN), August 2013.
- Aluminum: Principled Scenario Exploration through Minimality. Tim Nelson, Salman Saghafi, Daniel J. Dougherty, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. ICSE 2013.
- Towards a More Complete Alloy. Tim Nelson, Dan Dougherty, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. ABZ Conference, June 2012.
- Embracing Policy Engineering. Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi, and Daniel J. Dougherty. NSF/FSE Workshop on the Future of Software Engineering, Nov 2010.
- The Margrave Tool for Firewall Analysis. Timothy Nelson, Christopher Barratt, Daniel J. Dougherty, Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi. Usenix Large System Administration Conference (LISA) 2010.
- A Model of Triangulating Environments for Policy Authoring. Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi. ACM Symposium on Access Control Models and Technologies, July 2010.
- Escape From the Matrix: Lessons From a Case Study in Access-Control Requirements. Kathi Fisler and Shriram Krishnamurthi. Symposium on Usable Security and Privacy (SOUPS) Poster Session. July 2009. (full technical report version)
- Obligations and their Interaction with Programs. Daniel J. Dougherty, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. European Symposium on Research in Computer Security (ESORICS), September 2007.
- Specifying and Reasoning about Dynamic Access Control Policies. Daniel J. Dougherty, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. International Joint Conference on Automated Reasoning (IJCAR), August 2006.
- Verification and Change Impact Analysis of Access-Control Policies. Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi, Leo Meyerovich, and Michael Tschantz. International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE), May 2005.
Synthesizing APIs from Relational Specifications
- Towards An Operational Semantics for Alloy. Daniel J. Dougherty, Shriram Krishnamurthi, Kathi Fisler, and Theophilos Giannakopoulos. International Conference on Formal Methods (FM). November 2009.
- Alchemy: Transmuting Base Alloy Specifications into Implementations. Shriram Krishnamurthi, Daniel J. Dougherty, Kathi Fisler, and Daniel Yoo. International Conference on Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE). November 2008.
Features and Capabilities
- Features and Object Capabilities: Reconciling Two Visions of Modularity. Salman Saghafi, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. International Conference on Aspect-Oriented Software Development (AOSD), Modularity Visions track. March 2012
Timing Diagrams (Diagrammatic Reasoning and Formal Methods)
- Towards an Aspect Language for Bus Protocols. Kathi Fisler, Paul Freitas, and Dan Bjorge. Workshop on Domain-Specific Aspect Languages (DSAL), held in conjunction with AOSD, March 2012.
- Two-Dimensional Regular Expressions for Compositional Bus Protocols (short paper). Kathi Fisler. International Conference on Formal Methods in Computer-Aided Design (FMCAD). November 2007.
- Temporal Modalities for Concisely Capturing Timing Diagrams. With Hana Chockler. CHARME 2005.
- Towards Diagrammability and Efficiency in Event Sequence Languages. CHARME 2003. (Journal version in Software Tools for Technology Transfer 8(4--5): 431--447, 2006).
- Diagrams and Computational Efficacy. In Words, Proofs, and Diagrams, Dave Barker-Plummer, David I. Beaver, Johan van Benthem, and Patrick Scotto di Luzio, editors. CSLI Publications, 2002.
- On Tableau Constructions for Timing Diagrams. NASA Langley Workshop on Formal Methods, June 2000.
- Timing Diagrams: Formalization and Algorithmic Verification. Journal of Logic, Language, and Information; volume 8, number 3, July 1999.
- Containment of Regular Languages in Non-Regular Timing Diagram Languages is Decidable. Proceedings of CAV '97, LNCS, June 1997.
- A Unified Approach to Hardware Verification Through a Heterogeneous Logic of Design Diagrams. PhD Dissertation. Indiana University Department of Computer Science, August 1996 (abstract, full dissertation postscript)
- Visualizing System Language Relationships with Logic. CADE '96 workshop on Visual Reasoning, July 1996.
- Exploiting the Potential of Diagrams in Guiding Hardware Reasoning. In Logical Reasoning with Diagrams, edited by Gerard Allwein and Jon Barwise, Oxford University Press, 1996.
- Integrating Design and Verification Environments Through a Logic Supporting Hardware Diagrams. With Steven D. Johnson. CHDL '95, June 1995.
- A Canonical Form for Circuit Diagrams. Indiana University Technical Report 432, May 1995.
- A Logical Formalization of Hardware Design Diagrams. Indiana University Technical Report 416. September 1994.
- Extending Formal Reasoning with Support for Hardware Diagrams. TPCD '94, September 1994.
- Foundations of Incremental Aspect Model-Checking. Shriram Krishnamurthi and Kathi Fisler. TOSEM 16(2), 2007.
- Verifying Aspect Advice Modularly. Shriram Krishnamurthi, Kathi Fisler, and Michael Greenberg. International Conference on Foundations of Software Engineering (FSE). November 2004.
- Decomposing Verification Around End-Users Features. Kathi Fisler and Shriram Krishnamurthi. IFIP Working Conference on Verified Software: Theories, Tools, Experiments, 2005.
- A Case Study in Using ACL2 for Feature-Oriented Verification. Kathi Fisler and Brian Roberts. Proceedings of the ACL2 Workshop. November 2004.
- Parameterized Interfaces for Open System Verification of Product Lines. Colin Blundell, Kathi Fisler, Shriram Krishnamurthi, and Pascal Van Hentenryck. International Conference on Automated Software Engineering (ASE). September 2004.
- Modular Verification of Open Features Through Three-Valued Model Checking. Harry Li, Shriram Krishnamurthi and Kathi Fisler. Journal of Automated Software Engineering 12(3): 349--382, 2005.
- Verifying Cross-Cutting Features as Open Systems. Harry Li, Shriram Krishnamurthi and Kathi Fisler. International Conference on Foundations of Software Engineering. November 2002.
- Interfaces for Modular Feature Verification. Harry Li, Shriram Krishnamurthi and Kathi Fisler. International Conference on Automated Software Engineering. September 2002.
- The Influence of Software Module Systems on Modular Verification. Harry Li, Kathi Fisler, and Shriram Krishnamurthi. 9th International SPIN Workshop on Model Checking of Software. April 2002.
- Modular Verification of Collaboration-Based Soft/ware Designs. With Shriram Krishnamurthi. International Conference on Foundations of Software Engineering. September 2001. (full technical report version)
- A Model Checking Framework for Layered Command and Control Software. With Shriram Krishnamurthi, Don Batory, and Jia Liu. Monterey Workshop on Software Engineering, June 2001.
- Verifying Component-Based Collaboration Designs. With Shriram Krishnamurthi and Don Batory. 4th ICSE Workshop on Component-Based Software Engineering: Component Certification and System Prediction, May 2001.
General Computer-Aided Verification
- Bisimulation and Model Checking. With Moshe Y. Vardi. Formal Methods in System Design, 2002. Short version presented at Conference on Correct Hardware Reasoning Methods (CHARME) 1999. (full technical report version).
- Is There a Best Symbolic Cycle-Detection Algorithm? With Ranan Fraer, Gila Kamhi, Moshe Y. Vardi and Zijiang Yang. Proceedings of TACAS 2001, April 2001.
- Bisimulation Minimization in an Automata-Theoretic Verification Framework. With Moshe Y. Vardi. Proceedings of the Conference on Formal Methods in Computer-Aided Design (FMCAD), 1998. (full technical report version)
- Testing the FormalCheck Query Library. S. Dershowitz, K. Fisler, S. K. Shukla, G.J. Holzmann, R.P. Kurshan, and D. Peled. Proceedings of LCET 96, Vol. 14, pp. 173-176, Lucent Technologies, 1997.
Software Engineering Issues
- Implementing Extensible Theorem Provers. With Shriram Krishnamurthi and Kathryn E. Gray. Theorem Proving in Higher-Order Logics: Emerging Trends. INRIA Research Report, September 1999.
Verification in Practice
- Modelling and Model Checking a Shared Memory Consistency Protocol. With Claude Girault. International Conference on Applications and Theory of Petri Nets, 1998.
- Verifying VHDL Designs with COSPAN. With R.P. Kurshan. In Formal Hardware Verification: Methods and Systems in Comparison, Thomas Kropf, ed, Springer Verlag Lecture Notes in Computer Science 1287, 1997.
- Verification Using Abstractions, Reductions, and Decompositions: A Case Study in COSPAN. Unpublished report, 1996.
- Using COSPAN to Partially Verify and Debug a Barcode Reader. AT&T Bell Laboratories Technical Memorandum, December 1995.
- CounterMeasures: A Game for Teaching Computer Security. Craig Jordan, Matt Knapp, Dan Mitchell, Mark Claypool, and Kathi Fisler. NetGames 2011 [WPI MQP project]
- "Little Language" Project Modules. With John Clements. Journal of Functional Programming Educational Pearl. January 2010.
- Implementing domain-specific languages as the foundations of an honors CS course. SIGPLAN Notices 43(11): 66-70, 2008.
- Teaching Reasoning Using Heterogeneous Logic. With Jon Barwise and Ruth Eberle. Presented at DIMACS workshop on Teaching Logic in an Illogical World, July 1996.