Research Assistant, Visualization Research Lab,
Worked as leader and collaborator in many research projects on Scientific Visualization applications, Virtual Reality applications and interfaces, Human-Computer Interaction, Perception, Visual Design and Art, and Experimental Design. This work included writing research grant proposals for the National Science Foundation and mentoring undergraduates during their internships in our lab.
Assistant, Engineering and Urban Design Visualization Group
Worked on several projects involving 3D modeling, animation and rendering of large models for bridges, highway projects and urban developments. Led the project to recreate the new university campus in 3D through computer animation. This constituted my Honors Thesis for which I received an grade of A with honors.
Developed advanced finite element models for the analysis of the elasto-thermic behavior of arch dams. Collaborated on several projects related to dam safety analysis as well the calculation of bridge structures, along with their visualization in 3D.
Teaching Assistant, Visualization Research Lab,
Helped develop the curriculum as well as support software and logistics for two courses:
· Virtual Reality Design for Science. This is a cross-registered class between the CS Department at Brown and the Rhode Island School of Design. It combines design students and CS students to form interdisciplinary groups to design and implement a new scientific visualization application, based on a driving problem from one of our many scientific collaborators.
· Interdisciplinary Scientific Visualization. This graduate-level class leads CS students through the process of writing a research grant proposal, getting it funded and developing the proposed application. Each student must propose a project in collaboration with an expert from outside CS. Groups are formed to complete the work on the few funded proposals.
of 3D Modeling,
Realism, and Animation courses, Galician Institute for Economic Promotion
Taught two introductory courses on 3D graphics (over 100 hours total) to professionals and free-lancers.
of Perceptual Interactions among Some 2D Scientific Visualization
Through Buttons for
Virtual Environment Navigation and Interaction. (PDF)
Visualization in VR: Analysis of Lamp Finds at the
Immersive 3D Artistic Medium and Interactive Experience. (PDF)
Navigation in Virtual Environments. (PDF)
Scientific Visualization in Archaeological Research.
- A Three
Dimensional GIS for a CAVE Environment. (PDF)
Models in Static
Perceptual Dominance Amon Visual Cues in Multilayered Icon-based
Scientific Visualizations. (PDF)
Expertise to Characterize the Effectiveness of 2D Scientific
Rapid Prototyping for
Diffusion Tensor MRI Visualization. (PDF)
Studies in Building
Custom Input Devices for Virtual Environment Interaction. (PDF)
Comparison of 2D Vector Visualization Methods: A Pilot Study. (PDF)
for Designing Visualizations Using Examples from Art. (PDF)
Environment for Archaeological Research. (PDF)
of an Arch Dam Model with Linear and Non-linear Material Models.
Analysis of Zorita Dam.
Invited Talks and
the Future of and
a Career in VR.
Design, Art, and
Awards and Fellowships
Poster Award. IEEE
Visualization 2005 Conference.
Case Study Award. IEEE
Visualization 2001 Conference.
Botin Foundation Fellowship,
Barrie de la Maza Foundation Fellowship, A Coruña,
Reviewer for: IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, IEEE VR 2007, and IEEE Visualization (since 2005.)
Co-chair of Research Demonstrations for IEEE VR 2008
· In charge of IRB protocol renewals for the Visualization Research Lab.
· Leader, collaborator, and consultant on more than six NSF grants proposals for the Visualization Research Lab.
and webmaster for
Research Lab’s website (http://vis.cs.brown.edu).
· 2003-2004 Computer Science Department Graduate Student Council Representative.
· 2003-present Computer Science Department Programming and Research Comps Czar.
· Native Spanish.
· Native Galician (a Spanish dialect very similar to Portuguese.)
· Fluent English.
· High level Portuguese.