Application To Graduate
When you're ready to graduate, be sure to fill out the "Application to Graduate" in Banner before April 30. If you miss the April 30 deadline, you won't be allowed to walk at commencement or receive your diploma on May.
Once every year, students who have passed candidacy must submit a written update on their status by March 1. The form can be found here. (You must be logged in with your Brown ID to access it.)
Preparing For Your Proposal And Defense
PhDs are strongly encouraged to use these tips as you prepare for both your thesis proposal and thesis defense. These tips are designed to help avoid pitfalls or mistakes others have encountered.
When You Plan To Propose
Use this short form to make sure that you've completed the required administrative tasks.
When You Plan To Defend
- Before you schedule your thesis defense, confirm that you've met all of the course requirements by filling out the Post-Candidacy Contract and submitting the signed version to Lauren Clarke.
- Use the Thesis Defense Checklist to make sure that you've completed the required administrative tasks in a timely manner, particularly your refreshment choices.
- Three weeks before your scheduled defense, you must fill out the Dissertation Information Form and submit it to Lauren Clarke. A sample filled-out form can be found here to help guide you as you fill it out.
- This optional thesis template may make formatting your thesis easier.
- Use this form (also in Excel) to plan and communicate your refreshment choices for your thesis defense.
- Use this list of suggestions if you don't want to think too hard about your refreshment choices for your thesis defense.
Scheduling Thesis Proposals And Defenses
You must give a four-week advance notice for scheduling a thesis proposal or defense, and there can't be more than one of these events on any given day. Use the calendar here, maintained by Lauren Clarke, to check if a particular date is available.