Submitting An Annual Progress Report
After you pass candidacy, you must submit an annual progress report every year by March 1. Make sure you're logged in with your Brown ID, then click here.
Preparing For Your Proposal And Defense
We strongly encourage you to use these tips as you prepare for both your thesis proposal and defense. These tips are designed to help you avoid pitfalls or mistakes others have encountered.
When You Plan To Propose
Use this short form to make sure that you've completed the required administrative tasks.
When You Plan To Defend
- Before you schedule your thesis defense, confirm that you've met all of the course requirements by filling out the Post-Candidacy Contract and submitting the signed version to Lauren Clarke.
- Use the Thesis Defense Checklist to make sure that you've completed the required administrative tasks in a timely manner, particularly your refreshment choices.
- Three weeks before your scheduled defense, you must fill out the Dissertation Information Form and submit it to Lauren Clarke. A sample filled-out form can be found here to help guide you.
- This optional thesis template may make formatting your thesis easier.
- Use this list of suggestions if you don't want to think too hard about your refreshment choices for your thesis defense.
- Use this form (also in Excel) to plan and communicate your refreshment choices for your thesis defense.
Scheduling Your Proposal And Defense
You must give four weeks of advance notice for scheduling a thesis proposal or defense, and there can't be more than one of these events on any given day. Use the calendar here, maintained by Lauren Clarke, to check if a particular date is available.
Submitting Your Application To Graduate
When you're ready to graduate, be sure to fill out the "Application to Graduate" in Banner before April 30. If you miss the April 30 deadline, you won't be allowed to walk at Commencement or receive your diploma on May.