Adjustments Based on Testing
As a result of our testing with the students, we made a few minor adjustments. Between the stacks for game 1 and game 2, we placed a black card with the heading "Loading... please wait". Now students will not see things jump around, but that black card will remain until the first card is fully set up.
We fixed the problem of the money not carrying over, although Hyperstudio has been very fickle. The money that is collected throughout the rooms is inconsistent, but it appears to be working now.
We cleaned up some of the instructions to the puzzles to make them clearer. We also made minor changes to the puzzles, such as making sure that the values were never zero. We also fixed one puzzle that had a minor error in it.
We went back to the school today to install the software onto the machines in the school's computer lab. We were able to let Mrs. Robillard play the enhanced version of the game and she was thrilled with it. She also told us that the kids had been raving about it since we tested it with them last week. Mrs. Robillard also informed us that this was a game which many of the second grade teachers would also be using in the future as well.
We had to install the RAM Doubler and fix some of the configurations in the machines in order to make sure the game would run properly. None of these changes should affect any other programs in any other way. However, we are planning on trying to meet with the computer lab's monitor at some point in the near future to explain to her the installation process, and make sure that the configuration changes that were necessary were okay. Hopefully when that meeting occurs we can give her a CD with a simplified installation process (it was complicated by the installation of fonts on their computers, and by having to circumnavigate their startup "At Ease" program). We were, however, also able to add our game to the "At Ease" startup so that the game was easily accessible/runnable by the kids. ("At Ease" is comparable to a big launcher which is simple to use by young children, and which provides a means of security to prevent them from accidentally breaking the computer in some way.)
We had a few problems with one or two of the computers, which we hope to fix when we make a follow up visit to make sure the installation worked.