VDL Categories: Art & Design
- Adapted by Spalter from
Betty Edwards, The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, Putnam
Publishing Group; Rev&Expand edition, 1999. ISBN: 0874774241.
- Betty Edwards, The New Drawing
on the Right Side of the Brain Workbook: Guided Practice in the Five Basic
Skills of Drawing, Jeremy P. Tarcher, 2002. ISBN: 1585421952.p.9,10.
The New Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain, Putnam Publishing
Group; Rev&Expand edition, 1999. ISBN: 0874774241.
- Basic drawing skills are essential
for recording and conveying visual objects and scenes. Line quality is a fundamental
aspect of drawing.
Examples of relevant applications of the module
- Line quality in drawings, just
as in one's signature, is very personal and can often distinguished one artist
from another. The ability to create different line styles is also an ongoing
area of interest in computer graphics [research ref.s]
- Work in the handout's rectangular
areas, experimenting and practicing different line qualities.
- pressure (shading)
- line direction (crosshatching)
- line form (line thickness)
- speed (gesture)
- Do not draw anything recognizable,
simply focus on the abstract line qualities.
- Try to keep the variables as
separate as possible (i.e., not varying several of them at one).
- Are the correct parameters varied?
Further assessment may consist of evidence of varied line qualities in future